Pitch
Title: Wolves-Selena Gomez, Marshmello
Genre: Pop
Form: Music video
Locations: Woods, Train Station, Shower, Bedroom- wide variety suitable for this type of music video.
Time: Day & Night
Characters: 2 characters, 1 is alive and 1 killed himself. Jace is alive and Charlie has died.
Plot outline: Throughout the video it will show how Jace is dealing with the loss of Charlie and misses the feeling of him being around. Jace visits certain locations to try and remember certain memories they had together. The music video will contain a subtle story as I do not want to throw it all in the audience's face at once, I believe these type of music videos are clichè. The story will be in a form of progression, meaning as the music video develops so will the story and more will unfold. I also believe this will keep the audience engaged in video and will make them want to keep watching.
Micro features:
Camerawork: As for camerawork, I am going to use a variety of shots, however prominent shots such as Extreme Close Ups (ECU'S) and Extreme Long Shots (ESL) will be most noticeable. For example, the song starts with the lyric "In your eye there is a heavy blue", I intend to use an extreme close up on Jace's eye to try and capture his emotion at the start of the music video. Furthermore, I will use ELS's to set new locations and set the start of the music video. I think Pan shots are also great at creating pace during the chorus, especially once sped up (link with editing) . The song also mentions running with the wolves, so I hope to add POV shots of Jace running in the woods to find his lover- these shots will also be intertwined with cut in shots- whether that be a long shot of close up of them running, just to break up the shot type and give some continuity.
Editing: As for editing, In Selena's official video she uses the layering effect a lot, this is where two shots are placed over one another to give this merging effect, this effect is very prominent throughout the video and is a convention of a Selena Gomez video that I would like to bring into mine, so I will use this in my video. In the song "Wolves" there is a steady incline to the beat, drums become more prominent in the music itself, I am going to use this to my advantage and place shots on the beat of the drum, this way as the drums become quicker so do the shots- therefore an increase in pace will be present. There are also 2 beat drops within the music, it is imperative that I withhold the pace within music video, I am going to use strobe effect on certain shots to keep this pace flowing. I feel the strobe. Also at the same time, many pop videos use slow motion in there shots, they do this by either filming in slow motion or slowing down videos in post production. I will have to slow my videos down in Post production as I do not have a camera that supports SM filming- however this still follows convention of normal pop videos.
Sound: As for sound I dont really need any sounds, however am going to email the record label that owns the rights to this song and ask for permission of use. Hopefully, if I am successful in this my video will not become flagged by YouTube for copyright.
Mise-en-scene: As you will not see the character's that much in the video costume is not a priority but props such as roses for a grave scene, I will need to buy. Also making sure some shots are filmed just after sunset so i am still able to film but just gives a difference in time of day.
Target audience and audience appeal:
My target audience is very similar to that of Selena Gomez's fan base. Her song is used in the video, however as this story is based around a homosexual couple it may appeal to the LGBT community also as it is expressing a gay love story. I think not following conventions of a normal pop video which usually contain a straight couple in terms of love story narrative will give a larger audience appeal as people want to see something new and different which is what my music video ultimately is.
Influential musical videos:
Selena Gomez, Marshmello- Wolves = I am going to follow the editing conventions os this music video, with layering being very prominent.
Logic- 1-800-273-8225 ft Alessia Cara = I was inspired by the story line in this music video, It is very emotionally hard hitting. This is something i want to achieve in my music video but not to the point where it seems copied.
Lana Del Rey- Young and Beautiful = I really like how the camera work is focused on her face throughout the music video, I would like to use this in my music video- perhaps not full face but focusing on parts of the face like the eyes, lips, neck etc.
Unique selling point: I think because my music video will be more of a narrative visual, instead of a narrative video like a short film it will be more interesting to the viewer. The visual also contains a subtle love story between two men which goes against conventions of a typical music video, again, drawing in an audience from LGBT backgrounds.
Roles: Owen – Everything.
Comments
Post a Comment