Copyright

As the song I will be using is trending on certain charts, my music video will most likely be flagged for Copyright if I am not careful. Completing research into copyright and what the limitations of use are will be very beneficial for my video.

To start off, I tried to find the email to the parent company 'Universal Music Group' of the label 'Interscope', this label own the rights to the song 'Wolves' by Selena Gomez. Their website stated that licensing enquiries should go through your closest office in your country. This was 'Universal Music UK'. After being directed to their website, I found a contact email for them 'contact@umusic.com'. I then began to construct an email, here it is below once I had sent it.


Unfortunately, after waiting a fortnight I did not receive a reply. So I decided to take the matters into my own hands. I looked into what Youtube's policies were, they stated that no video that uses copyright material is safe from being taken down and they do not have the authority to decide if the video should be removed- which is obvious as they do not own rights to certain material. However, some copyright owners will let the user use their material but in return will monetise their video. In my case, I think it was realistic that I would not be receiving a reply from UMG. I will just have to upload my video and hope it is monetised by Interscope and not taken down. 

Comments