Research Into Roles
As I am on my own in this project, I am going to have to fulfill all of the jobs that construct this music video project. This will entail me becoming the Cinematographer, Editor, Director and Producer. I was in a group of two for my AS project, this meant that I was not exposed to the role of the Director and Producer meaning these are completely new to me. Furthermore, being a lone wolf in the process means that there are more responsibilities for me to uphold. Time management will be a large skill that I will need to develop, taking on 4 roles will mean I will need to balance time for all roles to be completed to a high standard. However, being on my own also means I have as much flexibility as I want. I can complete tasks around me and will not have to rely on anyone else in the stages of production, only the actors during production.
Cinematographer
Having previously taken on this role, I already know what this role encompasses, for example the cinematographer is mainly present in the production stage of the project. Evident in the name, they are the one who is in control of the camera. Making sure that setups are correct- lighting, props, scenery are all in place for shooting. Any accessories are applied to the camera correctly- e.g. tripod, microphones, etc. However, they are also present in the pre-production stage of the project. For example, they will need to produce important documents like shot lists/shooting schedules which give a clearer direction to the producer and director what order shots will be filmed in. Sometimes, shots are not filmed in chronological order, but in an order that makes filming run more smoothly. It doesn't really matter as it is the editors job to put the shots together during the post-production stage. The cinematographer isn't really present in this stage, however if current shots need to be improved or new shots need to be filmed then they will be called again to complete this. For my development, my aim is to improve my range of shots that I use, in my AS project it is evident that I was not experimental in my use of camerawork, it was mainly medium close up shots. I would like to diversify my range, using more ECU's, ELS's etc making my work more visually appealing. I feel this will also give me more material to work with post-production as an editor.
Editor
Again, like the role of the cinematographer, I have completed the role of an editor in my AS project, however I do feel this was to an average standard. In my A2 Project I want to expand and develop on my skills as an editor. Using more video effects, transitions- these will be extremely useful as I am producing a music video so visuals are essential. I feel expanding my knowledge in how to use these effectively will entitle me with a more diverse range of effects & transitions that I will be able to use to my advantage. Taking editing conventions of certain Pop/EDM music videos and applying this to my work will also give my music video a more professional look to it. I know it may sounds basic, but watching YouTube videos of people explaining the use of the software I use (Adobe Premiere Pro) will and has helped me to develop as an editor, I find I learn easier from other people. So catering my learning style to this is going to help me achieve my goal of becoming a better editor. Editors are solely present in post-production of a project, they are the people who actually bring the visuals to life, using the shots produced in the production stage, they create an end product for the project. They may have some creative control however progress in the post-production stage is overseen by the director who then reports to the producer of the project.
Director
As stated before I have never undertaken this role in my past projects so this will be completely new to me. However I did work with a director in my AS project so i do have basic knowledge as to what their role is and what part they play in the whole production of the project. Usually a director is there to make sure that the creative vision is brought to life through the camera work. The director works closely with the cinematographer/s to ensure that their visual ideas are coming to life throughout the production stage. In film, they usually work with a large team of professionals such as lighting directors, costume designer etc. However, as my production is going to be on a extremely small scale, I will be working with just the cinematographer (Who is me) and the producer (who is also me). Post-production, they work closely with the editor/s to ensure that progress is being made and make final decisions during the editing process, this may entail them cutting certain scenes, adding new scenes etc. Directors usually write their own scripts or edit them, in turn they are responsible for making sure that the scripts are transformed into productions.
Producer
Like the role of the director, I have never undertaken this role either, The producer is the person who oversees the financial aspects of the film, this may include the marketing, distribution and production of a major project. Budgeting is also an important task that the producer must complete, this is the process that allows the producer to see how much money they have to spend on each department e.g. Costume, Salaries, Hiring equipment, Props, Set/Scenery etc. Furthermore, they will have to continually make progress reports/action plans of the development of the project, this highlights to them whats left to do and allows the producer/s to create deadlines for certain aspects- this may be filming, scouting for locations to film or even editing in post production. As previously stated, they are also in charge of the marketing and distribution of the major project, this is a big part in making sure that the end product is successful. Building an audience within the production/post-production stage will mean there is an audience waiting to see a final product, pre-release. This may be through teasers/trailers/ posters etc. As my project is going to be on a small scale, I won't have many resources to market my music video however social media will be a large supplier of audience for me as I can share via Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat etc.
Cinematographer
Having previously taken on this role, I already know what this role encompasses, for example the cinematographer is mainly present in the production stage of the project. Evident in the name, they are the one who is in control of the camera. Making sure that setups are correct- lighting, props, scenery are all in place for shooting. Any accessories are applied to the camera correctly- e.g. tripod, microphones, etc. However, they are also present in the pre-production stage of the project. For example, they will need to produce important documents like shot lists/shooting schedules which give a clearer direction to the producer and director what order shots will be filmed in. Sometimes, shots are not filmed in chronological order, but in an order that makes filming run more smoothly. It doesn't really matter as it is the editors job to put the shots together during the post-production stage. The cinematographer isn't really present in this stage, however if current shots need to be improved or new shots need to be filmed then they will be called again to complete this. For my development, my aim is to improve my range of shots that I use, in my AS project it is evident that I was not experimental in my use of camerawork, it was mainly medium close up shots. I would like to diversify my range, using more ECU's, ELS's etc making my work more visually appealing. I feel this will also give me more material to work with post-production as an editor.
Editor
Again, like the role of the cinematographer, I have completed the role of an editor in my AS project, however I do feel this was to an average standard. In my A2 Project I want to expand and develop on my skills as an editor. Using more video effects, transitions- these will be extremely useful as I am producing a music video so visuals are essential. I feel expanding my knowledge in how to use these effectively will entitle me with a more diverse range of effects & transitions that I will be able to use to my advantage. Taking editing conventions of certain Pop/EDM music videos and applying this to my work will also give my music video a more professional look to it. I know it may sounds basic, but watching YouTube videos of people explaining the use of the software I use (Adobe Premiere Pro) will and has helped me to develop as an editor, I find I learn easier from other people. So catering my learning style to this is going to help me achieve my goal of becoming a better editor. Editors are solely present in post-production of a project, they are the people who actually bring the visuals to life, using the shots produced in the production stage, they create an end product for the project. They may have some creative control however progress in the post-production stage is overseen by the director who then reports to the producer of the project.
Director
As stated before I have never undertaken this role in my past projects so this will be completely new to me. However I did work with a director in my AS project so i do have basic knowledge as to what their role is and what part they play in the whole production of the project. Usually a director is there to make sure that the creative vision is brought to life through the camera work. The director works closely with the cinematographer/s to ensure that their visual ideas are coming to life throughout the production stage. In film, they usually work with a large team of professionals such as lighting directors, costume designer etc. However, as my production is going to be on a extremely small scale, I will be working with just the cinematographer (Who is me) and the producer (who is also me). Post-production, they work closely with the editor/s to ensure that progress is being made and make final decisions during the editing process, this may entail them cutting certain scenes, adding new scenes etc. Directors usually write their own scripts or edit them, in turn they are responsible for making sure that the scripts are transformed into productions.
Producer
Like the role of the director, I have never undertaken this role either, The producer is the person who oversees the financial aspects of the film, this may include the marketing, distribution and production of a major project. Budgeting is also an important task that the producer must complete, this is the process that allows the producer to see how much money they have to spend on each department e.g. Costume, Salaries, Hiring equipment, Props, Set/Scenery etc. Furthermore, they will have to continually make progress reports/action plans of the development of the project, this highlights to them whats left to do and allows the producer/s to create deadlines for certain aspects- this may be filming, scouting for locations to film or even editing in post production. As previously stated, they are also in charge of the marketing and distribution of the major project, this is a big part in making sure that the end product is successful. Building an audience within the production/post-production stage will mean there is an audience waiting to see a final product, pre-release. This may be through teasers/trailers/ posters etc. As my project is going to be on a small scale, I won't have many resources to market my music video however social media will be a large supplier of audience for me as I can share via Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat etc.
Comments
Post a Comment