Report on Rough Cut Feedback

Report

*=Teacher Feedback

1. Do you think the editing pace of the music video correlated with the type of music used?

Answer:
"Yes, felt like I was watching a usual pop video"
"Yes, It was executed very well"
"The quick cuts in editing of the music video correlated with the fast paced music"
"Yes, it was a medium paced song with fairly fast transitions"
"Yes it kept it well timed and edited"
*"Yes"
"Yes, it maintained a fast paced for the video to flow to the music"
"Yes it fitted the tempo of the music"
"Yes editing was great, fit the pace of the song perfectly"
"It fits well with the pace"

From these responses I can see that the pace received positive reviews and was widely praised by my audience.

2.What shot/s did you find most visually appealing?

Answer:
"The shots of the moon and train"
"The woods one where the camera pans man, it cuts to the beat"
"The water & wine, synergy with the lyrics. Was a nice shot too"
"The shots of the moon and the strobe shots"
"The shots of the woods and the eyes"
*"Close up shots of the eyes and hands"
"Shower- looks professional"
"The close up of the eyes and the shots of the sky"
"The close up of the eyes, hands and lips, presented an animalistic feel that fit the song title"
"The extreme close ups and the shots of the moon"

Each audience member Stated a different shot that they liked. I feel like I have catered for a wide range of target audience as each person more or less like a different shot. However, the eyes were quite popular, I think this may have been due to the quality of the shot being so detailed, the clarity of the pattern on the iris is quite prominent.

3. Was there a sense of narrative within the music video? If so, what do you think the story was about?

Answer:
"Yes, a love story between two men"
"Someone died?"
"Two people in a relationship with one of them dying"
"It wasn't very clear to be honest"
"The character was in a relationship and then the partner died"
*"Yes- loss of a partner"
"Two lovers searching for each other"
"That the main character has parted/lost their partner and misses them, wasn't very clear"
"Two people who want to be together, however cant"
"Two lovers?"

I feel like the audience was confused with the narrative, it wasn't clear enough, one audience suggested that I add a segment at the start of "couple things"- I agree with this and will focus on making my story telling clearer for my final cut.

4. The use of the strobe effect was quite prominent within the music video, on a scale of 1-10, how effective was this?

Answer:
"7"
"7.5"
"7"
"6"
"7"
*"8"
"8- very effective"
"8- possibly overused but fitting for the pace"
"10 extremely effective" 
"7"

I was quite surprised with how well the strobe effect went down with my audience, I am going to keep these effects in the video for my final cut and maybe even perhaps add more. However i do not want to overuse it like a response said. 

5. Was there a suitable variety of locations used?

Answers:
"Yes, I didn't find myself losing engagement"
"Yes, a wide variety"
"The variety of shots of locations was substantial"
""Yes it was very well varied"
"Yes,good variety of shots/locations"
*"Yes"
"Yes, a nice variety"
"Yes- there were lots to ensure variety"
"Yes an extremely wild variety"
"Yes fitted with the theme of the song"

All audience members agree that I have used a substantial amount of locations. This was one thing I was scared of when filming that I wasn't filming in enough locations so I tried to film at different angles, views to make the same locations look more visually appealing- I think the locations were received well by my audience.

6. Was the characters' appearance appropriate/ in keeping for this type of production?

Answers:
"Yes, I liked you only saw their face"
"Yes, very well done"
"Yes"
"I didn't really see much of the characters"
"Yes"
*"Yes-liked the lack of faces as well"
"Yes" 
"You didn't see much of them but yes it was a good use of carefully chosen shots to represent them"
"Yes"
"Didn't really get to see their appearance"

I don't think some of my audience members understood that I wanted to create a subtleness to the appearance of the characters, however this ideal may not have been translated in my pitch correctly. Although a large percentage of my audience members did like it.

7. Does the music video follow conventions of a typical pop genre video?

Answers:
"Yes, as said before, felt like I was watching a normal pop video"
"Yes"
"Yes"
"Yes, definitely"
"Yes"
*"Yes, largely"
"Yes"
"Yes. Filling pace and cutting, slow motion used effectively as well as appropriate usual effects"
"Yes definitely"
"Yes"

Everyone agreed that my music video follows conventions of a pop/electronic pop music video. I feel I was successful in using similar material in my video which is clearly seen in the responses above

My teacher did also give me further notes on my music video rough cut which was:
  • "The pizza shot confused me, that didn't have any relevance"
  • "The running shots looked corny in my opinion, perhaps you could play around with different shots and see if it looks more professional with something else"
  • "I liked the correlation between the shots of the branches and your hands- very effective"


Below is a video discussion of my rough cut with my class:




Improvements for final cut

  • Make my narrative clearer
  • Re-film shots for beginning of music video
  • Remove running shots, replace with something else
  • Rearrange shots to make narrative cleare


Comments