Ancillary Task- Digi Pak


Front cover


For the front cover I decided to use conventions from both Lana's and Rihanna's front cover. One of the main conventions that I followed/challenged was the placement of the eyes. Much like Lana's (although a mid shot, mine an ECU) she is looking into the camera at the audience- this front cover follows Goodwin's theory of audience and visuals, on my front cover above, the eyes are looking straight at the audience, this creates a sort uncomfortable feeling for the audience. Throughout the digi pak I added a scratch effect over the images, this allowed for the digi pak to look more worn/authentic and made it seem like a personal belonging of the artist further adding a sense of privacy to it. I also enhanced the colour of the eyes, this made them the prominent feature on the front cover which was the intention as it correlated with my music video. Also, not that noticeable, but the blue of the eyes almost reflects off of the middle of each eyebrow was a desired effect of mine, I wanted the audience to be drawn to the eyes as this allowed for Goodwin's theory to take place. Furthermore, Like Rihanna's and Lana's fluidity of font type and colour throughout their projects, I decided to use the same font type and colour that I used for my magazine analysis, I felt that this was necessary in keeping the intertextuality between both products apparent.

Back Cover
Like Rihanna's back cover I decided to place the song titles at the side of the cover, I did try and place the titles in the middle however this obstructed the view of the background image. Furthermore, I also had all song titles in capital letters, this is a convention that followed from Lana's back cover, I liked how it made the the titles more prominent within the image. The reason as to why I chose the image of a sunset was because this was representative of something ending, in terms of my product it was the relationship ending due to death. I decided to use this as a concept for this album- again using synergy between visuals. Another universal convention i used was the bar code, this was imperative to incorporate, without it how would my audience purchase the digi pak form stores. Both Rihanna's and Lana's digi pak incorporated a bar code into their digi pak. Aslo Lana's digi pak featured an FBI warning for piracy. I wanted to incorporate this as Selena being an american artist, i felt it was necessary for authenticity reasons. As for font type and colour I followed the conventions for Lana's and Rihanna's fluidity in terms of this, carrying the same type and colour through to the back colour.

CD
For the CD I used a screenshot of a shot I used within my music video, this was of the moon. I felt that the moon was a very important feature within my music video in terms of representing the relationship. I specifically used the crescent, half and full moon to be symbolic of the couples relationship, the moon gaining colour as they reached their unplanned climax. As the moon and CD were somewhat the same shape, I thought it would textually and practically appropriate. This image of the moon also followed conventions of Lana's and Rihanna's digipak, They both used an image linked with the concept of the album, Lana's being the dark red roses, symbolism the melodramatic theme of music contained within her album and Rihanna's pink rose symbolic of romance and affection. Furthermore, the scratch effect is present here too, I wanted to this be the main effect used throughout my digipak again to give a sense of it being personal material. Again, fluidity of font type and colour is present. I specifically made the album title 'W.O.L.V.E.S' in a darker tone to make it clear to the audience  which is the album title, not her name. 

Contents Inside
As for the contents inside the digipak, There were many conventions that I decided to follow and challenge. The first convention which I decided to follow was a 3 part image. Like Rihanna's digipak she uses an image that spans 3 sides of her digi pak, I followed this convention however manipulating to suit my concept. I used the idea of the eyes looking at each other with the woods in the middle, this being a prominent location within my music video, as a conceptual design. I also incorporated, on the right side, credits to people who helped make my album. Rihanna's digipak features this on the back of her digi pak as well as Lana however I wanted to challenge this convention and place it on the inside of the digi pak. On the left side you can see a personal message from the artist. I felt this needed into enhancing the personal feeling the audience get to experience. Speaking of the audience, the placement of the eyes looking at each other makes the audience feel like they are witnessing something personal from a 3rd person perspective, they still gain a sense of inclusion within the story/concept of my product. As for the middle image, the artists name is the main feature here, further highlighting the artist being listened too. 

Comments